A New Roof: Converting Your Home for Home Care: Safety, Function, and the ADA
A guide to converting an ordinary family home to a safe, functional environment for caring for a loved one who needs assistance it’s self-care. Covers applicable guidelines from the Americans with Disabilities Act and permitting and inspections
1. A Family Decision
2. Is Home the Right Place?
- What is required for care?
- What condition is your home in? (Needs and safety check)
- Initial review for safety and changes
- How to pay if proceed
- Time: Is there enough? (When does care start?)
- Coming to initial agreement — Go? No go?
3. Plans: Architects
4. Rules and regulations: ADA, Permits, and Inspections (time and fees)
5. Bids and the Budget
6. Review and the Final Decision
7. If the Decision Is No, Where to Go
- At home: Minimum changes, Meeting needs.
- Outside: The Critical Decision
8. If the Decision is Yes, What’s Next (Steps)
9. Choosing the Contractor (and the Contract)
10. Securing Needed Finding
11. The Schedule: Fixed or Flexible
12. The Process: Smooth Sailing and Problem Solving When Its Not
13. Finishing: Cleanup and Paying Bills
14. Moving Day: The First Day of Real In-Home Care
15. Thinking About After Care Ends